Spain has always been a traveler’s dream and destination for beauty lovers throughout different times. One of the most highly preferred tourist attractions, there is one place in Spain which is the most influenced by tourism and a must visit before die spot. We are here at Alicante!
A beautiful port and city in Spain, Alicante is the eight largest metropolitan area of Spain. It’s interesting to know that Alicante witnessed some of the earliest settlements around it, dating back to 5000 to 3000 BC. The place developed local industries and agriculture during the World War I. Keeping aside the historical stuff, Alicante is some where you can enrich your soul with the natural beauty which so strikingly elaborates under the vast blue sky.
With the castle of Santa Barbara resting on the hill top in the heart of the city, Alicante is gilded with beautiful beaches, old castles and museums glorifying the ruins of a historical past of the place. A warm climate by the bay of the Mediterranean Sea, here is what you can experience in Alicante-
- Castillo de Santa Barbara- or Castle of Santa Barbara is the top rated tourist attraction spot in the city and largest Medieval fortress of Spain. Resting on Mount Benacantil, this castle is the bulwark of Alicante. Overlooking the city, this beautiful fortress dates back to 9th century highlighting the Arab rule in the area. The site has seen many historical turns of time and was abandoned until 1963 and was only reopened for public after then. Visiting this place isn’t expensive and every one can afford. Lifts have been installed inside the mountains and you can enjoy refreshments near the summit.
- Bonfires- popular for its liveliness and that joyous aura mixed in the air is what make Alicante unique. Festivities of all sorts in almost every season which you can expect from this place. San Juan Bonfires is one of the most important festivals of the year. Celebrated in the month of June (19th-24th), with the objective of keeping away the evil spirits, this festival is all meant for purification. What you can expect here is amazing and dazzling fireworks shows every night.
- Beaches- crystal clear water, golden sands and some relaxation is what you expect in a beach and this is what Alicante promises you, may be a bit more! The splendid beaches are also award recipients for its beauty and popularity only making it more desirable among the visitors.
San Juan Beach- the most famous beach of Alicante, it sprawls from El Campello to the Cabo de las Huertas. The beach is located close to heavy settlements like apartments and corporates. A great place to indulge into some of the all-time favorite beach sports like volleyball, windsurfing, football. There are several well-known restaurants around the place where you can enjoy the best food of the city. With very fine golden sand to stroll about and relax it is one must visit place.
- Monuments- an abode to various historical castles and monuments, Alicante has some of the finest and historical public and religious buildings.
The Town Hall of Alicante- a European architecture wonder, this building dates back to 18th century designed by architect Lorenzo Chapuli. With its mesmerizing ornate interior and columns made up of barley and sugar, this is one of the most interesting and historical sites. The building is open from Monday to Friday and is closed on Saturday and Sunday and during festive holidays.
- Island of Tabarca- the only inhabited island in the Valencia region is a small archipelago embracing the islets of La Cantera. Having a history of being the home to Berber pirates, the island was transformed in to a town by King Carlos III in the 18th century. Now an official historic and artistic site, a boat ride is all you need here.
- Museums- Alicante boasts some of the best museums and cultural floors.
Alicante City Museum- located in the castle of Santa Barbara, the building exhibits some of the finest collections of archaeological ruins and historical pieces of the city. To know how or what the city looked back in the times, this place is a must on the list. You’d love the floor of the museum which is made of glass with historical figures engraved on. The museum is open every day.
- Shopping- you would for sure want to shop something in the city. Quality of things is what Alicante is famous for. Quality leather goods, bags, shoes and accessories will make you drool. The traditional pottery items, rugs and carpets are again something you can invest in and won’t be disappointed. You can find both local and international brands in the shops and yes the beaches too have some very pretty shops to find some of the best pick in the city.
- Food- you can definitely not skip the Alicante food-a typical Mediterranean recipe, Alicante serves some of the finest and mouthwatering food and mark my words you can never go wrong with this. Inspired by the climate, tradition and heritage here are some of the best food you can try-
Paella- cooked with rice and fish as the main to go, beans and other sea foods included, this food is a very popular dish and a must try. Generally eaten at the lunch time as per tradition, you are permitted to have it at any time of the day!Some of the other popular dishes are Denia Prawns, Bunuelo, Olla Churra, Turron
A place as beautiful as this should not skip out of your travel diary! Alicante is the name where you can find the best of sophistication and beauty and a dash of natural beauty. This is where you should visit this season!